The COVID-19 outbreak has led to the creativity among nations to utilize technology for remote learning, distance education, and online learning. Hence this paper focused on the implications of these transformations on engineering and technology education. The article introduced an online, hybrid instructional learning platform, adapting technology trends pertinent to Education 4.0 called Remote Open Broadcaster Electronics (ROBE). The study used an experimental research design, which sought to compare learning in terms of knowledge, practical skills acquisition, and craftsmanship. The study used two instruments based on the instructional objectives of lessons on Programming and Automation. Data gathered were analyzed using weighted mean, standard deviation, and T-test analysis. Cohen’s Kappa was also used to determine respondents’ inter-rater level of agreement using the ROBE platform. Results showed ROBE contributed to the group’s academic success that had used the learning platform compared to the group that utilized the usual face-to-face lectures or skills demonstration. The researchers somehow expressed that despite the existing gaps and mixed findings, a list of significant future scope recommendations may promote student engagement.
- Akram, M., Ather, H. M., Tousif, M., & Rasul, S. (2012). The perception of teachers in using computer-based technology at higher education. International Journal of Social Sciences and Education, 2(1), 523-534.
- Allen, J. M., & Nimon, K. (2007). Retrospective pretest: A practical technique for professional development evaluation. Journal of Industrial Teacher Education, 44(3), 27–42.
- Ary, D., Jacobs, L. C., Razavieh, A., & Sorensen, C. (2006). Introduction to research in education (7th ed.). Thomson/Wadsworth.
- Barker, B. S., & Ansorge, J. (2007). Robotics as Means to Increase Achievement Scores in an Informal Learning Environment. Journal of Research on Technology in Education, 39(3), 229–243. https://doi:10.1080/15391523.2007.10782 481
- Bloomfield, J., Roberts, J., & While, A. (2010). The effect of computer-assisted learning versus conventional teaching methods on the acquisition and retention. International Journal of Nursing Studies, 47, 287–294.
- Cauchemez S., Ferguson N.M., Fox A., Mai L.Q., Thanh, L.T. & Thai, P.Q. (2014) Determinants of influenza transmission in South East Asia: insights from a household cohort study in Vietnam. Public Library of Science Pathogens,10(8). https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.ppat.10043 10
- Donkor, F. (2010). The comparative instructional effectiveness of print-based and video-based instructional materials for teaching practical skills at a distance. International Review of Research in Open and Distributed Learning, 11(1), 96-116.
- Fleiss, J.L, & Cohen, J. (1973). The equivalence of weighted kappa and the interclass correlation coefficient as measures of reliability. Educational and Psychological Measurement, 33, 613-619.
- Frederiksen, N., Glaser, R., Lesgold, A., & Shafto, M. (1990). Diagnostic monitoring of skill and knowledge acquisition. Routledge.
- Klatt, J., & Taylor-Powell. E. (2005). Using the retrospective post-then-pre design. Madison: University of Wisconsin-Extension. http://www.uwex. edu/ces/pdande/resources/pdf/Tipsheet27 .pdf Lutz, A. (2017, July 20). Technology in the classroom: The teacher’s companion. Edgenuity. https://blog.edgenuity .com/technology-in-the-classroom/
- McHugh, M. L. (2012). Interrater reliability: The kappa statistic. Biochemia Medica, 22(3), 276-282.
- Pardinan, E., & Loremia, R. (2019). ˜ Simulation-Based Learning in Electronics: Modified TAM and DeLone & McLean IS Success Model.Journal of Science, Engineering and Technology, 7, 84-100.
- Pather, N., Blyth, P., Chapman, J. A., Dayal, M. R., Flack, N. A. M. S., Fogg, Q. A., & Lazarus, M. D. (2020). Forced disruption of anatomy education in Australia and New Zealand: An acute response to the covid-19 pandemic. Anatomical Sciences Education, 13, 84–297. https://doi:10.1002/ase.1968
- Pepen, M. J., Bandara, P., Sims, B., & Manu, I. (2016). An exploratory case study: The sudden introduction of Internet Protocol Television (IPTV) in an ODL accounting program. The University of Papua New Guinea Open College (UPNG OC) experience. Commonwealth of Learning: Pan-Commonwealth Forum 8 (PCF8). Oasis. http://oasis.col.org/handle/11599/2522
- Pratt, C. C., McGuigan, W. M., & Katzev, A. R. (2000). Measuring program outcomes: Using retrospective pretest methodology. American Journal of Evaluation, 21(3), 341–349.
- Schindler, L. A., Burkholder, G. J., Morad, O. A., & Marsh, C. (2017). Computer-based technology and student engagement: A critical review of the literature. International Journal of Educational Technology in Higher Education, 14(1). https://doi:10.1186/s41239-017-0063-0
- Shan, G., & Wang, W. (2014). Exact one-sided confidence limits for Cohen’s kappa as a measurement of agreement. Statistical Methods in Medical Research, 26(2), 615–632.
- Spitzer, R.L., Cohen, J., Fleiss, J.L., & Endicott J. (1967). Quantification of agreement in psychiatric diagnosis. A new approach. Archives of General Psychiatry, 17(1),83-87. https://doi :10.1001/archpsyc.1967.01730250085012
- Vernoy, M., & Kyle, D. (2002). Behavioral statistics in action (3rd ed.). McGraw – Hill.
- Woodhall, T. F., & Strong, D. S. (2008). Implementing a rubric-based assessment scheme into the multidisciplinary design stream at Queen’s University. Proceedings of the Canadian Design Engineering Network Conference. https://ojs.library.queensu.ca/index.php/P CEEA/issue/view/394
- Zhang, W., Wang, Y., Yang, L., & Wang, C. (2020). Suspending classes without stopping learning: China’s education emergency management policy in the COVID-19 outbreak. Journal of Risk and Financial Management, 13(55), 1-6. https://doi:10.3390/jrfm13030055